Sunday, June 7, 2015

A little this, A little That

I have a few things to show and tell. First I want to let you know that my family is considered "low-income" according to national standards I guess.  I'm sure that's true.  That name doesn't offend me.  The label "poor" I find to be incorrect.  My husband and I had a conversation once after hearing the word.  I can't remember if it was in reference to us or not.  We both said that neither of us have felt poor.  There isn't a lot of money to go around for sure, but we feel very rich indeed.  I said that because a lot of the things that I'm going to show you on my blog are created in a way because there isn't money to just go out and get the perfect one.  I have to be creative all the time when I want something for myself or my family.  I also thought that I can tell you how I do things and even if you're not in a low income category it still can be a sort of creative outlet for you.  And if you are then I hope to help you get fun things that you generally can't afford.

 I'll start with my woven basket.


I've been searching for a bag like this ever since I saw one on a blog that I read from time to time.  Of course when I searched on the web it was out of my price range.    I thought of putting a few bucks aside until I have enough, but I want to save that for something that I know I can't find anywhere like a pair of Aurora shoes.  I searched and searched, but every time I found one that I liked it didn't have a bottom to the bag.  It was just two flat sides or a price that I didn't want to pay.  Finally earlier this year we went to an indoor garage sale (terrible disappointment by the way) and I went searching on the rack full of bags.  There it was for 3 dollars.  The straps were wrong, but I couldn't pass up the bag because it was perfect.  I removed the straps and added two belts using the straw from the original bag straps to secure them on.  I secured them even more with a hot glue gun.  As you can probably tell the belts are different.  I grew tired of looking for straps that I liked and were the same so I just settled for two that were the same color and length.  It's not that big of a deal.  I love this bag.  It's the perfect size because I like to have one bag that I can use for a purse, knitting bag, diaper bag, and carry a book and water bottle all at the same time.


This is my very easy and extremely affordable project bag.  I bought two fat quarters from JoAnne Fabric.  Sometimes they go on sale for $.79.  I sewed them together just like they came....no cutting.  I turned them o the right side and sewed a hem on the opening.  Because I like all of my bags to have no zippers or buttons that's all I did.  It's large enough to hold my project and it's soft enough to fold it over and tuck it into my purse.  I'm going to make more in the future I'm sure.


I've been thinking a lot lately about giving.  Because of our income state we have always seemed to be on the side of getting.  I want to start to begin to be on the giving side.  I don't have much, but when I thought about it I do have things I could give away to others.  Inside of the project bag are these socks.  First, it is the only sock patter that didn't make my head spin.  I love it.  This is my second pair.  The first pair I made for my second oldest son for his birthday.  I was originally making them for me, but I was thinking of giving while knitting and I started to wonder who I could give these socks to when they are finished.  I've decided to mail them to one of my niece's.  I always make things for my husband and children, bur I want to extend that beyond my little circle hear.  The bible says that it is more blessed to give than receive and I want to start practicing this.



This little fella, as you know, is my youngest.  He has become extremely attached lately.  I mean of course for me it's just a natural way of life that my babies go wherever I go.  I've had comments made to me like "you hold your babies ALL the time".  What else are you suppose to do with them?  A nurse once commented because I had to take my oldest daughter to the hospital for testing.  I was speaking to my cousin that volunteered to go with me because I had to stay overnight.  I was telling her that I didn't know how I was going to make it without the baby during the night because this was the first time we had been apart.  The nurse turned around and said, "He's 7 months and this is your first time apart?"  I think I was actually as mortified as she was when she basically told me nursing was no excuse.  She left her nursing 2 week old baby and 12 month old baby with her husband and caught a plane to Florida. So I'm use to always having a baby in my arms, in a sling, on my lap, on my hip....no biggy.  Well I went for about 5 hours with my friend for her birthday.  I left this little guy with his siblings and daddy.  I returned to the frantic sounds of "MAMA!!!" way past his bedtime.  Apparently he had been that way for the last 3 hours or so.  Ever since then when I go upstairs to the bathroom..."MAMA!"  When I get up to go in the kitchen...."MAMA!"  If I try to run outside and get something I left in the van...."MAMA!"  I'm sure it's just a phase.  Although I'm sure some people will think that my solution will make it worse or last longer, but I will never leave this guy again in the near future.  There will be a 3rd wheel on any mama's night out.  I don't mind really.




One of the littles favorite past times at the moment....mud!!!  I don't mind.  I love for children to use objects that nature provides and just be free to let their imaginations run wild.  I'm a firm believer that you can't have a proper childhood unless you get completely filthy on a regular basis.  He said he's making coffee with LOTS of creamer.  I wonder who his mommy is?


Speaking of nature.  I just absolutely LOVE this book that I found at our local library.  There are tons of fun, simple, and beautiful projects that you make with items from nature.  This is a book that works well when you don't have money to go out and buy art supplies for some other projects that you want to try.  While saving up for that please dive into this.  And if you can afford to do the other projects please dive into this anyway.  I just love it.  We decided to start a woodland house.  We're going to make furniture next. 



The elmers wasn't a good choice.  I have to get glue sticks and it will take this fun from good to great I'm sure.  We didn't finish it in one day.  We're going to add to it little by little until we get it just like we like it.  Yes we.  A lot of my children's projects I enjoy them as much as they do sometimes.


I don't know if it's because I've had several children and parts of my body just aren't as strong anymore.  It could be the whole after a certain age women loose fat on their feet as I was told at a Clark's shoe store before.  I don't know what the reason, but at the end of the day my feet are killing me.  I'm on them all day long either washing dishes (it amazes me how much time I spend at the sink - good Lord), doing laundry, grocery shopping, walking to the park, taking a walk in the neighborhood.....  I've also noticed that my choice of shoe has an effect on how my feet feel at the end of the day as well.  I've been searching for a pair of thrifted Clark's for longer than I've been searching for my woven bag.  Every time I found a pair they were either too big or too small.  Finally yesterday I found these for a whole $5.00.  They were so cute so I thought they couldn't possibly fit.  They are just heavenly on my feet.  I'm pretty sure these will be practically glued to my feet this summer. I just love a good thrift store find. 

(please excuse my terrible camera)


Did I tell you that I LOVE these little public restroom seats.  Well I do!!  Very much.

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend.

Love,
Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I found you via soulemama.com and I read your blog. You posted about giving and it made me think of you. I have some almost brand new shoes that were given to me by my mother that I am not wearing. I wonder if they will fit you at sizes ranging from 8, 8.5, and 9. If you are interested, let me know. I also wonder if you have considered trying a drop spindle out while you save for your wheel?

    ReplyDelete